Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Digital Bundle of my Books

I recently received this message:
Hi Scott,

I was looking through the books at InformIT.com and was checking to see if the promotion for buying all of your Effective C++ books together was still active and found this instead:


Are those updated versions of your books, or is that one SKU for all three existing books in that series?
I replied:
This is a single SKU for digital editions of all my existing books.  The content of the books is the same as the current editions of the printed books. I was not actually aware that this SKU had been put online, though I knew it was in the planning stages.
Shortly thereafter, I got mail from my publisher:
Your eBook digital collection is now available for pre-order. You can feel free to start pointing folks to http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0133068625 now!
Consider yourselves pointed.

My books have been available in PDF for over three years (per this post from Feburary 2009), but, as far as I know, this is the first time they've been made available as a bundle of all three books in both PDF and ePub formats. I have not yet had a chance to examine this bundle myself (the author is always the last to know...), but when I announced the PDF versions in February 2009, I wrote:
[The PDFs are] DRM-free and chock-full of linked navigation in all the ways I believe you have a right to expect: tables of contents, indices, cross-references, URLs, mailtos, the whole nine yards.
To the best of my knowledge, all those features are still present.  For all I know, so are a whole bunch more.  Once I get my hands on the digital bundle and take a look at it, I'll let you know for sure. 

Scott

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
Regarding your publications, is there any chance we can acquire the presentation material for c++ and beyond 2011? Like this one but for 2011:
http://www.artima.com/shop/cpp_and_beyond_2010
I am interested in buying this material.

-Seb.

Scott Meyers said...

@Anonymous: Unfortunately, the materials for 2011 are not available in that way. Similarly, there are online videos from some of the 2011 sessions, but not for any of the 2010 sessions. We're still trying to figure out the proper way to make C&B content available beyond the event itself. Ultimately, I think a combination of video and handout PDF (i.e., a close reproduction of what people at C&B experience) is the best way to go, but the details of how to make that (1) happen and (2) available are still under discussion.

Scott

Anonymous said...

Thank you Scott,
It's a bit saddening to see the final material is available as mentioned in here
http://cppandbeyond.com/2011/08/15/the-road-ahead/
but not available for buying though.
-Seb

Scott Meyers said...

@Anonymous: The final PDFs were made available to all attendees, because that's one of the perks of attending the event. (The same will apply to this year's C&B.) Whether those PDFs are made more widely available is a separate decision. We understand that some people, such as you, are interested in the materials, and we appreciate that you are willing to pay for them, but there are other factors that enter into the matter. As I wrote before, we're trying to figure out the best path to take on this question. There are several factors to be balanced.

Scott

Anonymous said...

+1 if and when the CPP 2011 materials would become available for purchase!